Propagation: hoya kerrii - growth / yellow leave

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by smoogy, Feb 14, 2019.

1. smoogy

smoogy New Member

hi all, I need help with my hoya kerrii! i made the mistake of purchasing 3 of the leaf cuttings from the local floral shop and only to learn that they are leaf cuttings. However one of the 3 plants has a little stem poking out of it.

in any case, I also noticed that the leaf of the plant started to lose its usual darker green color on the 2nd of feb, and I upped the water intake to 1 X per week as i assumed that the plant needs more water for growth. Flash forward to this past weekend, I noticed that the leaf has turn even more paler, and the back of the leaf is started to turn yellow. I had stopped all watering since the 10th, and now i Wonder if the yellow leaf is caused by overwatering or lack of fertilizer? I really have high hope for this plant, as I see that it has potential to grow into a plant. is there anything I can do?

thank you for your input.

currently I have it on the east facing window where it gets a lot of sun.

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

It looks like the one that is yellowing is the one with the stem. I'm wondering if it is because the plant has channeled its resources toward developing the stem and its root system and that the yellowing the natural result of reserves being depleted. I would follow the usual cultivation guidelines and see what happens.

More information on Hoya: Hoya / RHS Gardening

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I have never heard of propagating a hoya from a leaf, and this website is pretty clear that it is not a reasonable expectation:
    Hoya kerrii leaf cuttings – Laidback Gardener
    I am surprised to read, though, that those leaves can last a long time, with only a sprinkling of water. So no fertilizer (nothing to fertilize), no need for enough water to support growth, as there would be no growth.

Even for plants that will propagate from leaves, such as begonias, those leaves would not remain. The game would be to try to get the new growth to appear before the leaf completely disappears.

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I don't recall ever seeing Hoya kerrii for sale other than as leaf cuttings. It says something about the industry. Why offer a complete plant when you can sell a single leaf for about the same price?! Anyway, the OP appears to have lucked out with at least one cutting producing a stem.