Identification: Hoping someone can help- new growth

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by woman-in-sweats, Jun 7, 2006.

1. woman-in-sweats

woman-in-sweats Member

Pobably not new growth to people with knowledge, but this growth has me stumped.

We live just outside of Sweet Home on 3 acres. We have a septic system (recently pumped and maintained) and three wells.

In the last few days this spongy yellow growth has been spotted spreading over our back yard. It originated on the cemet slab over the septic. It spreads in spots and when you first look at it, it looks like a puppy has chewed up foam rubber and then regurgitated the remains. It is a solid area of sticky gooy yellow stuff and when it rains, the "stuff" turns black and kind of decomposes?

I hope I am making sense. I can't take a photo of it because my digital decided to quit working. When I insert a stick into it, it grabs on to the stick and comes up like hot cheese on a pizza.

I am keeping the horses, the cats and the dog away from it. I just wonder what the heck it is? Fungus? We have lived here now 11 years and have never even seen it before.

My husband says it looks like something out of a science fiction movie-

Thanks for any help in this. I also need to know if it can be removed, should it be removed, and is it harmful to our animals?

Mary Anne

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

A slime mold - see this recent entry on Botany Photo of the Day: Fuligo septica

3. Dixie

Dixie Active Member

believe it or not, there is a type of slime mold called "dog vomit slime mold" it sounds like what you have desribed. I saw of picture of this when I was researching a different fungus this morning. yuck!

4. woman-in-sweats

woman-in-sweats Member

Thank you so much! Now it is off to find out if it is hazardous to inquisitive puppies. Our 7 week old pup had her nose in it this morning before we could stop her.