honeysuckle vine

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by brewster, Apr 27, 2006.

1. brewster

brewster Member

Hi anyone that can help. I planted a honeysuckle vine in a very large container, weaving through a trellis of sorts over our hot tub, 2 years ago. It bloomed wonderfully and only had minor aphid problems. This spring it seemed to be growing fine, but know that I look at it, it almost seems to be dying. Do I need to repot it? Prune the roots? The pot it is in as I said is quite large, but the soil, seems to be very tight, and full of smaller roots right to the top. If anyone knows anything, please let me know, before I have to cut it all down. Thanks for the help.

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Brewster,

I realize it's been a long time since you wrote in, but it sounds to me like the roots have filled the pot. I suggest unpotting and take a look. You may have to root prune as well as prune the vine.

Newt

3. brewster

brewster Member

Hi Newt, thanks for the response, unfortunately, I already cut it all down. You were correct though, totally rootbound, with an aphid infestation to match. Since, I have planted a silver bells vine right in the ground. So far it looks fabulous.

Brewster

4. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Brewster, I'm sure the aphids appeared because the plant was so stressed. Never heard of a silver bells vine. Is that the Akebia 'silver bells' that you mean? Glad it's doing well.

Newt