Help! Problem with weeping Japanese Willow!

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by jamiejess, Apr 8, 2008.

1. jamiejess

jamiejess Member

Hello, This is my 1st time to post on a forum. I am hoping someone can help me with my 4 year old Weeping Japanese Willow (Nishiki).
    I am located in Mid-Wisconsin, between zone 4/5. But where I have my willow is in a sub-zone I figure between 3/4.
    (South side of brick building, near parking lot (that has just been black topped).
    There is black spots appearing all over various branches, and those branches are dry, brittle, & dead looking.
    This is the 1st time I've noticed such a problem.
    The tree is established, (4 years) and has grown incredibly fast in that time.
    We did have record snow this past winter, and the snow was piled over tree, leaving just part of the crown above snow level.
    But we have had colder winters, and the tree showed no stress to those past winters.
    Spring has begun here, and the tree does have budding.
    I've cut off all branches that have this spotting. But some go to core branch areas that I cannot cut.
    I'm terribly concerned about my nearby crab apple tree's, and a new Hagen Cherry tree I just put in last year.
    Can anyone offer me any advice, or idea of how to handle this problem. And what it may be.
    I really appreciate any advice, and direction.
    Thanks for your time and knowledge.
    Jamie

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008