Identification: help please

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by aubrey burkett, Oct 4, 2004.

1. aubrey burkett

aubrey burkett Member

i bought two of these plants a month ago and they're not looking so great now, can you please i.d. it and tell me how to care for it? thanks

Attached Files:

2. This is an areca palm

Hei,
    This is an areca palm, family Areceae, and subfamily Arecoideae. It is also known by the botanic name Chrysalidocarpus lutescens.
    I have two of them and the first one got real shock when moved in. I clipped all leaves and whole brunches that turned brown (it had only few branches left...) and begun showering it daily. It loves humidity! What it does not like, it is direct sunlight and water under the pot (then leaves turn yellowish).
    I always water it when earth begins looking dry and feed it several liters of lukewarm water during at least half an hour. When it stops drinking water from the soucer under the pot, it is enough. In an hour or so I always check if there is any water left.
    Now both palms look really nice an booshy. You should just be patient. It is really difficult to kill this plant, but you should accept that tips of some leaves will be turning brown anyhow.