Identification: Help, Plant ID

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by lclementson, Mar 12, 2005.

1. lclementson

lclementson Member

Can anyone tell me what kind of plant this is. I received it after my Mom passed away 3 months ago. The buds hang down from the stem but once the flowers open they open and grow upside down (so that the flower is up). I also have a type of bulb growing off of it. The bulb stem appears to be drying up. What should I do with the bulb? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Appears to be Cyclamen persicum, Cyclamen.

3. ihs

ihs Member

I agree with Junglekeeper. The cyclamen likes a cool, light location but not full sun. Remove dead flowers by twisting them off the corm. Water daily but never on the crown of the plant. Set on layer of gravel with water but water should not touch the pot. You can submerge the plant to the rim of the pot in a bucket of water once a week. It likes weekly fertilizer. You can let the corm gradually dry out and repot it.

4. lclementson

lclementson Member

Thanks for all your help. I have researched this plant but can not find what I should do with the bulb that is growing from it. It appears that the stalk is drying up on just the bulb now. Any idea when I should stop watering it to let it go dormant.