help me my aloe's dying

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by aloedude, Dec 28, 2004.

1. aloedude

aloedude Member

Hi just got here because I needed help with an aloe vera my teacher gave me a while back. At first it looked good but it never grew any roots and just sits there. The bottom of it is brown and the top is barely green. Help me. This teacher was my favorite and this plant has a lot of sentimental value.

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Starting aloe

Aloes can be propagated readily by division when taken at the right time of year, preferrably late spring or early summer. (It may be that your offset has not rooted because it was not removed from the mother plant at the most opportune time of year.)
    They will generally root if placed in a cactus mix (well drained), kept in bright, not direct sunlight, and in a warm environment. When first taken from the mother plant, it is good to let the stem wound dry a few days before putting the offset into the starter mix. I have successfully rooted cuttings in winter by placing the tray holding the offsets within 10 cm. directly under the fluorescent tube lighting above my kitchen counter tops. It is warm and bright there. Good luck saving your memorable plant--we all love caring for living reminders of special people!