Identification: Help ID This Fungus Please!

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by RPBnimrod, Aug 6, 2008.

1. RPBnimrod

RPBnimrod Active Member

[​IMG]

I found these in Long Island, New York. They had no apparent smell and seemed to be semi-aquatic relatives of another species of fungus that grew mainly on one tree in the same forest [​IMG] I found them this winter, growing on this one piece of wood. could someone identify both species?

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

#3459 look like old Turkey Tails (Trametes), #3245 hard to tell, really old/degraded somethings :-).
    There are a few Cerrena and Stereum species which look like Trametes in my region, so a shot of the pore/underside surface might help. But it is a bit hard to tell with older specimens.
    cheers,
    frog

3. RPBnimrod

RPBnimrod Active Member

[​IMG]

I was caught in a bush of thorns and muddy water when I got photos of #3245, so I didn't really think of photographing the underside. I'll say one thing though, I think that they had gills, not pores. Here's a photo of the area where I found them if it helps:
    [​IMG]
    And just for kicks I'll put in a second picture of the same place during summer, july:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    the ponds were either soaked up by plants or they evaporated. Either way I walked on the area where the pond was and stayed dry.

4. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hmmm ... gills eh... So maybe something pleurotoid like Lenzites, Crepidotus, Panellus, Gloeophyllum ... ?
    Looks like a great place to be - to be totally out there!
    :-)
    frog

5. RPBnimrod

RPBnimrod Active Member

Thanks frog, I think that #3459 are a bunch of old Gloeophyllum sepiarium, or maybe a hybrid of Gloeophyllum sepiarium and something else, maybe turkey tails.

Gloeophyllum sepiarium: [​IMG]