Invasives: GVRD/GVIPC brochure

Discussion in 'Plants: Conservation' started by dawnh, Jun 27, 2007.

1. dawnh

dawnh Member

I'm thrilled that we now have a forum in which to discuss all kinds of invasive plant issues. And I wanted to start off by offering up a resource for gardeners throughout the Lower Mainland. The GVRD and the GVIPC (Greater Vancouver Invasive Plant Council) recently produced a brochure on invasive plants. It talks about what invasive plants are, why they're a problem, what you can do as well as identifies the most common invasives in Greater Vancouver and alternatives for gardeners. You can get a copy by sending an email to icentre@gvrd.bc.ca or calling (604) 432-6200 and asking to have a copy of Help Stop the Spread of Invasives sent to you. You can also find an electronic version of the brochure at www.gvrd.bc.ca/parks/resource-management.htm

Dawn

2. erka

erka Member

I am looking forward to the posts in this forum.

I see many of the plants listed in your brochure running rampant. I think this brochure/information should be delivered to each homeowner in the lower mainland.

A weed that is not listed but is growing along our lane is the Japanese Knotweed. Here is just one city's expense in dealing with it:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/london_2012/article1563967.ece

3. dawnh

dawnh Member

Hi Erka (?)

Actually, the brochure does list Japanese knotweed (it's in the third column at the top of the page).

D