Propagation: Growing Mahaleb Cherry from Seed

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by Steve Wieden, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Steve Wieden

Steve Wieden Member

Hello,
    I have twenty Mahaleb Cherry tree seeds and I was wondering if I was doing this correctly. I was thinking of soaking the seeds over night in water, and then place them in a bag with peat moss in the fridge for 110-120 days at 40* F. Then taking them out and placing them in a warm sunny spot and see what happens. And thoughts, experience, etc.? I was wanting to use the seedling as rootstock for tart cherry trees.

Thank You,
    Stephen

2. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

There's plenty of information on the Internet regarding germinating Prunus mahaleb seed. I Googled "prunus mahaleb stratification" (without the quotes). It looks like you're on the right track. Cold, moist stratification: 100 days at 35 to 41 degrees F.

3. Steve Wieden

Steve Wieden Member

Thank You. I had done a search but couldn't really find any step by step instructions by someone who had done is successfully. Then just yesterday i did some more searching and found what i needed. Thank you again!