growing calla from rhizome

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by acphm, Oct 6, 2006.

1. acphm

acphm Member

I recently bought 2 calla tubers...one white (aethiopica) the other green ("green goddess") and was wondering if anyone has grown them aquatically. Any tips would be appreciated.

2. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Calla plants love lots of water, in general, but I find that I need them to grow roots before I give them to much.

3. James D.

James D. Active Member

If you have a pond you can plant them in a pot and sink the pot about half way into the water. they will grow verywell this way.

4. acphm

acphm Member

I've tried to nudge them to grow roots, but so far no luck. And as for putting them in a bucket immersed in water...does it still need soil or can I just put the rhizome directly in water?

5. James D.

James D. Active Member

they still need soil.

6. acphm

acphm Member

it's been 4 wks since my last post and I just wanted to share my good news. My callas have rooted! I know I was advised to use soil in my aquatic adventure, but I'm a bit of a hydroponic buff so I took a risk and just suspended my rhizomes an inch deep in my fish tank directly above the air pump stone. Both rhizomes are happily rooting and I've got several stalks with leaves. Best part of this setup is that I don't have to worry about watering or fertilizing! :)