Identification: "Flower" is dying... :( Extraordinary help needed

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Turning Over a New Leaf, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Turning Over a New Leaf

Turning Over a New Leaf Member

Over the last few years, I've treated the handful of plants I've owned a bit like ornaments--- assuming that they'll survive and conquer without an iota of attention. Obviously, this didn't work, and I suppose I could be considered a plant murderer in the past.

But now I'm trying! Perhaps too hard. This little beauty called "flower", which I'm sure is as common a house-plant as they come, is dying :( I don't know what it is, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. So I would be extremely grateful for any help.

I've attached pics, which shows, amongst others, the leaves which are going brown/black around the edges, and the pot. I recently re-potted it, to a bigger pot with compost. I've tried extremely hard not to over-water it, but perhaps I have? Also I was trying to shine some light on it as it's not in a very light position normally, but maybe I shouldn't have?

Basically, I have no idea, and, even, whether Flower can be saved! I would love help. Kind regards.

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Possibly a variegated Ficus elastica. What kind of compost? Perhaps you have more than one problem...overwatering AND too-intense heat/light. Any new growth at all? Give us more specific details. How much and how often do you water? What kind of light are you using---how strong, how close? Temperature in room?

Welcome to the Forum! If there is help for Flower, you will get it here!

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i agree with variegated ficus elastica

what is the composition of the soil/medium??? how long ago did you re-pot and does the container have drainage holes? did this thing with the leaf discoloration start before or after repotting?

what are the temps in the room that it's in??? they're tropical plants and like warmth - shouldn't be kept lower than 60 f (sorry, don't know what that is in c). the way the leaves look it seems like it might be too cold.

leaves will usually brown up at the tips when over or under watered...not at the sides like that. i've got a monstera that got too chilled and the leaves look similar to what you've got happening.

i'm not sure on light requirements for the variegated...i know the plain green doesn't like full sun and the magenta one DOES like full sun (that helps to keep the reddish tones vibrant).

i really think it's just been too cold.

4. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

60F is ~ 15 C. I have the same problem with my plants Turning over a new leaf, especially seedlings....they need light but the best light is unfortunately on my very cold north facing windowsill so they grow veeeery slowly!

I would think the variegated rubber plant would probably appreciate a bit of direct sun but not all the time, it would certainly like more light than the plain green one.

5. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

I have had this happen to my Ficus (rubber plant) as I let the humidity destroy it, as it lost most of its' foliage. To correct the problem, I cut back to about 15cm from the soil, and placed it in the sunniest and warmest window, and by the month end, three new nods developed. It has fully recovered.