Fleas in the yard

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Barbara Lloyd, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

I have been asked if there is any way to kill fleas in the grass in the dog yard. We used Borax in the carpets in the house, but I don't know what Borax would do to the lawn. I know there are some plants that repell bugs but can't remember which does what. I don't want to use "agent orange" type chemicals if it can be avoided. Would appreciate any ideas. ;)) barb

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Don't use Borax on the lawn. It is a useful trace element when applied very lightly, but any concentration strong enough to kill fleas will also kill the grass. I applied some Boraxo very lightly earlier this spring in my back yard, which has fruit trees and lawn; but, despite being very careful, I still killed a few small patches of grass where too much Boraxo landed.

3. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Yup figured that. Maybe I shoud just add a decontamination chamber on the outside of the dog door. Grin So I guess we are stuck with buying flea pills monthly.