Appreciation: Fagus sylvatica 'Purple Fountain'

Discussion in 'Fagaceae (beeches, oaks, etc.)' started by wcutler, Aug 12, 2020.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I don't see any photos of Fagus sylvatica 'Purple Fountain' here - let's see if I have this right. It has a great location standing on its own, for now, visible driving by the north side of Queen Elizabeth Park, just past the Midlothian Ave entrance.
    Faugs-sylvaticaPurpleFountain_QEPark-MidlothianEntrance_Cutler_20200809_151958.jpg Faugs-sylvaticaPurpleFountain_QEPark-MidlothianEntrance_Cutler_20200809_152212.jpg Faugs-sylvaticaPurpleFountain_QEPark-MidlothianEntrance_Cutler_20200809_152135.jpg

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes - the beech is 'Purple Fountain'. Don't know if the beech family pages here already describe its background but if not it's a Netherlands origin seedling of 'Purpurea Pendula' that was being grown by 1975. So it's relatively new, when compared to 'Pendula' and 'Purpurea Pendula' which are believed to have been in cultivation by 1836 and 1865 respectively.

wcutler likes this.
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@wcutler, I was considering planting a Purple fountain, but opted for Fagus sylvatica 'Black swan' instead. Also of Netherlands origin. Very simliar from a distance IMO.
    Both trees are just amazing shapes, whatever the choice.
    Love your photos Wendy, so spooky!! That's why we bought ours.