excess pitch from doug firs

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Anne Taylor, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Anne Taylor

Anne Taylor Active Member 10 Years

In our everchanging weather patterns and climate shifts has anyone out there found a really "drippy" douglas fir? I think that an over abundance of either cones or sap is a result of extreme season OR stress forcing the tree to over produce. Of course it is directly proprtional to the stress experienced by the homeowner, caused by the aforementioned pitch landing directly below the tree onto the driveway AND vehicles parked there. Now this being a 80'+ tall tree there would be much comfort in thinking this is a one season occurance, however I'd like someone's opinion on what's going on and what to expect.
    Thanks,
    Anne Taylor

2. bglover

bglover Member

We are in Burnaby and have lived in this property for 5 years. This year we experienced a steady drip of pitch off our douglas fir cones from approx. june thru August. We have never noticed this before and are also wondering about the phenomenon. This years production of cones seems to be very high as well. Our tree is also about 80' high.

3. SilverVista

SilverVista Active Member

Interesting! I'm having the same problem. I've been parking under the shade of our 3 Douglas Firs -- about 50' tall -- for at least 10 years and have never seen pitch drip till this year. Ended up parking in the sun for the last month or so after I started having to clean huge gobs of pitch off the windshield. (And it takes a stepladder to reach the windshield of my F-350, so it's quite the chore!)