Hedges: Emerald Green Thuja is getting flaccid

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by GreenT, Jul 20, 2009.

1. GreenT

GreenT Member

One year ago I planted 20 Emerald Green thujas which were 5 feet tall. The seemed to be doing fine, but I recently noticed that the first two trees are getting weak and flaccid. Their color is not as bright anymore, but there is no browning. All other trees are full of life. What could go wrong? Is it due to insufficent watering and heat? (The soil was kind of dry, when I checked, but other trees were in the same conditions). Could a fertilizer burn the roots? (I put fertilizer sticks into soil recently). I know that it is not overwatering, because I already had a problem with it.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. ian66

ian66 Active Member

I'd say that the fertilizer sticks maybe harming the roots. The problem with this (Stupid) invention is that it concentrates too much fertilizer salts in one area. If the tree or shrub is small, it can't take that concentration.
    Better to hand sprinkle some general fertilizer a little at a time through the growing season.
    I would also recommend that you keep the cedars moist, since they like "wet feet". They will grow better and give you less problems.

Ian

3. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

Interesting, though, that it only affects these two plants. Probably just the luck of the draw -- roots in close proximity to where the sticks went in. Is there anything at all different about the growing conditions for these plants? More shade, perhaps?

4. ian66

ian66 Active Member

Emerald cedar prefer the sun over shade. It is important to keep their roots moist.

Ian

5. GreenT

GreenT Member

It was probably due to the fertilizer sticks. Two of the thujas dried out completely and died. Since I was afraid that water does not get to roots, I spaded soil near all trees and watered. This caused even more problem and the third thuja on the other side of the hedge died in the same way very rapidly. I think when I spaded, I might have crashed another fertilizer stick or improved water supply from the stick to the roots. When I digged out the trees, the roots were moist (even though I did not water dead trees) and seemed to be spreading. Well, at least something is learned.