Dumbcane leaves turning yellow

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by nanso, Feb 6, 2010.

1. nanso

nanso Member

Hi,
    I've had this dumbcane since July. When I bought it, its pot was too small and the shopkeeper offered to repot it into a larger pot. It looked healthy at the shop, but its leaves have been turning yellow and falling off since then. I tried to give it more sunlight, and only water when the soil dries out, but that doesn't seem to be helping.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

they like consistantly moist soil (not totally soggy, just moist). you should never let it completely dry out.

water thoroughly and then water again once the very top of the soil is dry and right underneath still has moisture to it. with that size container, should need weekly watering (depending on room temp - could be a couple days longer before it's needed again).

they also don't need/like full sun - if i'm remembering correctly. i could be wrong on that and someone else will have to clarify that.

3. nanso

nanso Member

thanks alot for your replies, looks like i'm underwatering.
    Yesterday while watering I noticed several tiny little bugs in the soil, probably white or transparent, they're too small to tell. Nothing on the leaves as far as I can tell. Could these be harmful, should I change the soil?

4. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

What you are experiencing is known as the plant becoming deciduous,. Rain forest plants drop leaves when the stem does not have enough water. They drop them in the dry season in order to keep the stem and roots alive. Right now your plant thinks it is the dry season and it is simply trying to survive,

Do what Joclyn suggests and keep it in moderately bright light with evenly moist soil.

There are four basic rules to keeping most rain forest plants happy:

1) moderately bright light
    2) humidity
    3) evenly moist soil
    4) soil that drains rapidly and will not stay soggy

They can live with lower humidity but not all of the above. Remember, Dieffenbachia is a rain forest plant and they receive water much more often than a home grower imagines. Off the shelf potting soils rarely work for aroids and your plant is an aroid.

The plant will also benefit from a monthly feeding of magnesium in the form of Epsom's salt. The normal does is 2 tablespoons to one gallon of water. Try a jug of distilled water and mix in the Epsom's but only water the plant with the mix once per month. Dieffenbachia love fertilizer as well but you'll likely find a good pellet fertilizer to work best. Home Depot sells one call Dynamite and it works very well for all aroids, just don't over feed.

Visit www.ExoticRainforest.com Look for the link in the lower right corner on growing Anthurium, Scroll down to soil mix and you'll learn how to mix the soil.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010