Dividing Hakonechloa macra "Aureola"

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by Barbara Cameron, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Barbara Cameron

Barbara Cameron Active Member

Does anybody know if dividing this plant will harm it? I want to divide it into 3 parts. It's really beautiful and it would be nice to have the huge plant divided into sections that could be interwoven with other Perennials that I have to set it off. Thanks.

2. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

This is a beautiful grass. I've divided mine a couple of times, into 10cm x 10cm clumps. They recover nicely. They new divisions will need typical aftercare of watering during the heat of summer but they'll be fine and will fill out nicely.

3. Barbara Cameron

Growing4it,
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I will try dividing mine. I have a very small garden (100 sq. ft.) and am in the process of re-doing it entirely. I need to wait until Fall when all of the Perennials have finished their season - and when I go part-time at my job. I have another grass that suggests that you divide it in the Spring. Dividing the Hakonechloa in the Fall (after the plant has gone brown) would be better for my plans. Does it matter if I divide it in Fall or Spring?

4. growing4it

I actually am an impatient gardener. I don't remember when I divided, but it may have been the spring - trying to make room. With our mild climate and some aftercare, I expect that the grasses would be fine, you'd wouldn't have the graceful mounded appearance that first year.

5. Barbara Cameron

I'm disappointed that the "graceful mounded appearance" won't happen the first year. I've had it so long that I can't remember how it looked when I first bought it.
    But will the divided plant parts eventually get really big and have that lovely appearance?
    The problem with dividing it in the Spring (which all seem to feel is best) doesn't allow me to do the layout in the Fall - which I wanted to do.

6. growing4it

Sorry, let me clarify my statement. When I said first year, I mean the year that it's divided and re-planted. The stems would be falling to one side - of the former clump.

The new growth in the spring would mound gracefully, however, ovbiously, the mound would be smaller after dividing.