Diff between Hedera colchica Dentata Variegata - hedera canariensis Gloire de Marengo

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by Milan, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Milan

Milan Member

Hey! That is a great thread, I need a help, too. That webpage of Fibrex does not state differences between similar varieties. I am now very confused about two of them:
    - hedera colchica Dentata Variegata
    - hedera canariensis Gloire de Marengo
    The both look alike. However, the second one is not supposed to survive hard frost. I live in Prague, Czech Rep., which is zone 7 (6b) and I saw a beautiful plant there which looks rather like Gloire de Marengo, or is it the first one? Can anyone help identify? I guess the nurseries are rather mixed up about it, too. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Re: variagated Hedera - help needed

I believe that you will find the name is changed to Hedera algeriensis Gloire De Marengo.

http://www.fibrex.co.uk/hederas3.asp?CategoryID=2&SubCategoryID=40

http://www.findmeplants.co.uk/plant-hedera-algeriensis-0079.aspx

All the descriptions that I have read describe the leaf as edged in white.

The other one Hedera colchica Dentata Variegata seems to have edges described as creamy yellow/pale yellow/ colour of old ivory.

http://www.fibrex.co.uk/hederas3.asp?CategoryID=2&SubCategoryID=43

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...gb:IE-ContextMenu&rlz=1I7SUNA_en-GB&sa=N&um=1

Maybe someone else can help with other pointers to the differences.

3. Milan

Milan Member

Re: Diff between Hedera colchica Dentata Variegata - hedera canariensis Gloire de Mar

Thank you Silver surfer. The thing is that Dentata Variegata should not have yellow-ish margins as per Fibrex´ picture. Even RHS says it has foliage of creamy white margins, mottled light green. I do not tend to believe google images as the uploaders seldom know what they are talking about. But thanks anyway!

4. Vdunne1952

Vdunne1952 Active Member

Re: Diff between Hedera colchica Dentata Variegata - hedera canariensis Gloire de Mar

Hi Milan,
    I can only speak about the plants that I know.
    In my experience,
    H. canariensis (algeriensis) 'Gloire de Marengo' has shiny leaves that have rounded lobes and are consistantly pute white at the edges.
    H. c. 'Dentata Variegata' has relatively matt leaves, more distinct lobes and the margins are definitely creamy.
    Hope that helps. Photos are always tricky. (as is the provenance of plant names)

5. Vdunne1952

Vdunne1952 Active Member

Your photo is definitely 'Gloire de Marengo'

6. Milan

Milan Member

Hello Vdunne,

That is great news, thanks a lot for your comments! I was almost certain it was Gloire de Marengo but could not believe that it would survive our winter. The leaves are really rather rounded than lobed and curved rather than flat as opposed to Dentata Variegata.

I can see you are from Ireland so you never have problems with hard frost, do you? What is the lowest temperature you have experienced so far?

7. Vdunne1952

Vdunne1952 Active Member

Hi Milan,
    Yes, Ireland has a very mild climate normally, We joke that you can not tell the difference between Summer and Winter (rain -rain) but this year has certainly been different. We have the most sustained frosts since 1963 (although we had lower temperatures in '79 and '82. We have lost Phormiums and Cordylines but not everyone is sorry about that. They are a bit over planted.
    Glad you found the info. of use. I know how difficult it is to i.d. plants. Names are not always accurate, even in botanic gardens and especially in nurseries. As you said Google images is notoriously inaccurate.

8. Milan

Milan Member

Hi Vdunne,
    Very true! I can´t agree with you more. I have a garden centre and always get angry when Italians send me goods that are not what the labels say. Guess what - they just don´t seem to care. I ask for campsis grandiflora, they send campsis radicans. I ask for gleditsia Elegantissima, I receive gleditsia Inermis. The worst are Chinese suppliers of tree paeonies. They label them with exquisite names and photos but when it starts to bloom it is obvious that orange is light yellow, purple-blue is red etc. But I always hope for better future :-) !