Daphne stump survival

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by useridchallenged, Aug 28, 2009.

1. useridchallenged

useridchallenged Member

Sigh - our 1.5-year old 75-pound Labrador "pup" discovered our 5-foot Daphne plant in the front yard and stripped it of all its branches and leaves, leaving only an 18-inch stump remaining. He dug up the first 4 inches of soil around the stump as well. I've reburied the roots and fenced off the stump and watered it. My wife is heart-broken as we've had this plant for over 20 years. Any chance that the Daphne will put on some new growth and survive?

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Should recover. I'd be more worried about the dog, as Daphne is quite poisonous.

3. useridchallenged

useridchallenged Member

That might explain the recent bout of doggy diarrhea... He was mostly playing tug of war with the plant than eating it. Nonetheless. Probably my next thread will be how to keep your dog from "gardening".

More seriously, he took the Daphne down to three large-ish 1.5-inch branches, each about 12-inch long. The bark that remains on the branches is somewhat chewed up. Not a single leaf or smaller branch left behind. It's just a horror to look at.

4. nic

nic Active Member 10 Years

So the 30year old Daphne I took down to the ground last week to see what happened, as it looked awful, leggy and unhappy, may rejuvenate as I had suspected?

I was going to give it the benefit of the doubt, but I'd almost decided what to replace it with if it didn't come through. We shall see.

5. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Dear useridchallenged, With your current Pup situation - this might be handy to have around.
    http://www.ttlntl.co.uk/2/Health/poisonplants.htm It's called "Taking the Lead"

I't' a poisionus plant data base, but it's far from complete. Google Daphney and you'll see why we are worried. barb

6. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Conventional garden 'wisdom' suggests that daphnes are temperamental and not long lived and that they generally don't tolerate pruning.

I planted a D. odora 'aureomarginata' about 8 years ago and it became a beauty over the years. The fragrance is legendary and this plant was a super bloomer. My sister felt that since it wasn't box shaped she would get it under control. She removed about 1/2 of the foliage 2 years back. I was really cross with her.

It has recovered somewhat and it seems like the 'pruning' was more a set back than a life threatening event.

I think there is hope for your plant. Best of luck.

7. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

My 25 year old cutting also survived my sons pruning after he thought it hung over a path too far. Growing on a rock wall in gravel soil from the old drive way it has been stunning. I too was far from happy when he gave it a haircut but it is full of flowers (our late winter) and putting on new shoots. So hopefully yours will have some buds left and plenty of roots to get going again.

Liz