Propagation: Cryptomeria japonica "Elegans" cuttings

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Tobin, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Tobin

Tobin Active Member

Hi all,

Curious if it's too late for me to try a run at some cuttings or not. Thoughts?

I also came across a few C.lawsoniana "Oregon Blue" cuttings today and was told they would root at pretty much year round.

The "propagation unit" is in my garage under fluorescent lights and a heat mat w/a fan.

Thanks in advance!
    Tobin

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Cryptomeria Japonica cuttings can be started early in the season from both partially mature softwood and from now from hardwood cuttings with the help of bottom heat and a rooting compound. They need extra light as roots begin to form, in order to stimulate heavier root growth. Lastly they can be started from seed, which should be planted as soon as they are ripe and before they dry out - Millet

3. Tobin

Tobin Active Member

Thanks, Millet! I'll give it a try. Now how about that C. lawsoniana? Also, how about Thuja plicata?

You know, as much as I love asking you professionals in person it might help if I had the books/references/websites you have all used to get so smart. Do you have any good rec's for me? I have the book "Plant Propagation" put out by the American Horticultural Society and I do like it a lot, but sometimes a little extra info is nice.