Cross post: Ponytail Palm question

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by reverie, Sep 25, 2009.

1. reverie

reverie Member

I originally posted this question in the caudices forum, but thought I might benefit from insight if I posted here as well. The question is what are some possibilities for a soft caudex on a Ponytail Palm? The caudex started out firm but following a transplant to a grittier, PTP-friendly medium and no subsequent watering other than what was present in the mix and on the roots from when I rinsed them free of the soil, the caudex has softened. It doesn't feel mushy as there is some firmness, but the caudex is definitely not as firm as it'd once been. The roots looked healthy pre-transplant and I have the pot situated in front of a window so that it receives bright sun throughout the day.

Of the folks who have PTP or have experience with 'em... what should I be on the look out for with regard to whether my plant is headed for trouble? I know these are supposed to be plants that thrive on neglect (with the occasional watering) and for the most part I've left the plant alone, but the soft caudex makes me think the plant may be headed for (if not already in) trouble.

The PTP in the picture is the one in question. There are three separate plants, two which are quite stunted compared to the third (the one with the tallest upshoot). The picture doesn't give the greatest glimpse at the PTP's but on the off chance something could be gleamed from the appearance of the stalks, I thought I'd provide it.

Attached Files:

• img1.jpg
      img1.jpg
      File size:
      444.9 KB
      Views:
  2. James D.

James D. Active Member

I water my ponytail palm at least once a week, and when it was outside this summer usually once a day or every other day. My garden is southwest facing, so its quite hot. Mines seems to grow quite quickly with an abundance of water and is very happy too. You may want to try watering a bit more often.