Could this be Lewisia columbiana var. columbiana?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by tehee, Jul 28, 2018.

1. tehee

tehee Active Member 10 Years

Could this be Lewisia columbiana var. columbiana?

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Could be, yes. Lewisia can look a bit different in cultivation than in the wild, so that's a challenge (for me).

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I saw some similar plants labelled Senecio at a corner store yesterday, was sure I would remember the cultivar name, but didn't. They were just that size and planted just that way. And then I didn't remember which thread had the question anyway.
    'Himalaya'? That looks a little different from what I remember. I'll go back.

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

What I saw is labelled Senecio 'Kilimanjaro', but it doesn't have the spade shape at the leaf tips like the one in question. I'm including photos anyway. The front of the label did spell it Senecio. So I withdraw that suggestion.
    SenecioKilimanjaro_CornerStoreDenmanBarclay_Cutler_20180730_114216.jpg SenecioKilimanjaro_CornerStoreDenmanBarclay_Cutler_20180730_114235.jpg SenecioKilimanjaro_CornerStoreDenmanBarclay_Cutler_20180730_114305.jpg

5. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Your photos definitely look like Lewisia to me. All Lewisias are native to the west coast of North America and several species have long, narrow leaves like the plant pictured. Among those however, only L. columbiana is relatively easy to buy. Where did your plant originate? If it is Lewisia columbiana, it could be L. columbiana var. columbiana, var. rupicola or var. wallowensis. They are fairly easy to tell apart when in bloom. The fact that your plant has much shinier leaves than any of those 3 varieties make me suspect that it could be a cultivar such as Lewisia 'Trevosia' (L. columbiana x L. cotyledon var. howellii).

Lewisia: Bitterroot | Portland Nursery

The photo is Lewisia columbiana var. columbiana in my garden today - leaves definitely not as long or shiny as photo posted by tehee.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    Daniel Mosquin likes this.