Could sure use some help with identifying these flowers!

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by itlajfk, May 16, 2009.

1. itlajfk

itlajfk Member

This is my first attempt to post photos on this site - so far, I'm not encouraged as I'm not seeing them in the preview. Oh well, hopefully they will come through when I post.

We live on an old farmstead in Nova Scotia (just moved here a couple of years ago). I have been trying to use the internet to identify these two beautiful little blue flowers that crop up every spring, but I'm ready to give up. I've posted two shots of subject#1 and one of unsub #2.

The first shot of #1 is just to give you an idea of the size. It's low growing and obviously likes sandy soil. It seems to do well both in the sun and in the shade, although the color seems to deepen where it's growing under the maple tree. The second shot is just a closer view of the foliage and flower.

The first shot of #2 was taken today, May 16. I had to hunt around to find one in bloom as it really hasn't taken off yet. The second shot was taken last year in one of my earlier attempts to figure this out using the internet. This one appears to be fairly low growing as well, and seems to do well in the shade. At first I thought it might be forget me not, but then realized it had only 4 petals, rather than the five I've seen in every picture I have viewed.

Thanks in advance!

Jo-Ann

2. itlajfk

itlajfk Member

One more time... I obviously didn't wait long enough for the uploads....

Attached Files:

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

1 and 2 are the same plant, yes? They're Creeping Charlie (Glechoma hederacea). Most people consider it to be a weed; I like it since I can use it in place of hops and it smells lovely when you tread on it.

3 looks like Veronica of some sort.

4. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

I like it too! And what a lovely patch Jo-Ann has got.

5. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

Hi There, Your #3 picture is a veronica. I have he same plant and it's just about to flower, love it because it spreads nicely, once it's finished flowering I just give it a "haircut" to clean it up. It'll spread nicely too. I see your from Clyde River, I was down in Shelburne for several years. I alos have lots of the creeping charlie, it's one of Nova Scotia's abundant weeds.

6. itlajfk

itlajfk Member

Thank you all for your help and the quick responses!

I sort of suspected that #1 might be a weed, but it's really rather pretty and makes rather a nice ground cover in places where it would be a lot of work to plant something else.

Again, thank you all and happy gardening!

Jo-Ann