Cornus alternifolia Gold Bullion™

Discussion in 'Cornus (dogwoods)' started by treelover3, Jan 14, 2006.

1. treelover3

treelover3 Active Member

Hi all,
    This is my first post in the UBC forums.

I just received Klehm's Song Sparrow catalog and they have a new Pagoda dogwood that is listed under the name of Gold Bullion™ ('Bachone' PPAF).

Is anyone familiar with this plant and/or is this plant "really" new? I have C. a. 'Argentea' and Golden Shadowsâ„¢ already and I am wondering if I should add this plant to my landscape?

Unfortunately, I don't have a slightly shaded spot for this plant so the plant would need to be placed in full sun. Both of the other C. a. cultivars have done pretty well growing in full sun.

Thanks for any input.
    Mike

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2018
  2. decumbent

decumbent Member

I lost a species Cornus alternifolia because, I think, it was planted in full-sun with little supplemental irrigation. It gradually became stressed and then fell victim to a very tiny borer.

My guess is that a variegated form would be even less tolerant of hot, dry full-sun, but, then again, you are much further north. You might try contacting Klehm. They may have tried it in full-sun, or know of growers who have. Their climate is somewhere halfway between mine and yours.

Scott

3. treelover3

treelover3 Active Member

Thanks, Scott. I will call the nursery and see what they say. I'll have to look at the catalog listing again, too.
    Thanks, again, for the suggestions.
    Mike

4. williams

williams Member

hey it's really very interesting topic i like this community. Handsome, eye-catching yellow-leaved selection of our native Pagoda Dogwood, discovered as a seedling by noted Chicago plants man Kris Bach tell. The natural horizontal tiered habit is dramatically emphasized by the golden yellow foliage which maintains its color well into summer.
    ===========================
    william patrick
    ===========================

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2018