Cooking Onions

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Garry Dewar, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Garry Dewar

Garry Dewar Member

Good day. I am interested in both cooking onions and tomatoes for my area which is Qualicum Beach.
    I would like to grow both white and red cooking onions but have not been too successful to date as the end product has been small cooking onions. I would like to hear of any varieties that I could use that would be large.
    I grew Early Girl tomatoes last year and although the crop was plentiful once again the tomaotes were too small. I dont want the large beef steak tomaotoes but do want a good medium size tomatoe can you recommenda any varieties for me

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I would suggest you consider getting a soil test done on your vegetable plot to see if there are any nutrient issues which need to be addressed. Make sure to use green manure (rye or legumes) to retain nitrogen in the soil, use barnyard manure to add humus and beneficial bacteria, add compost to keep the soil rich. Consider using seaweed as a mulch, rinse it as best you can to get rid of the salt, mulch it if you can (run the mower over it a few times?) and add it to the soil, lots of nutrients in seaweed.