Constant Light vs Natural Light

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by FredrickHanson, Nov 18, 2009.

1. FredrickHanson

FredrickHanson Member

Currently I'm growing two pepper plants from seeds. They are both a few days old, recently germinated seedlings.

On plant 1, I initially gave it 24 hour light (combination of natural sunlight during the day and 6500K 55 watt CFL during the night) and plant 2 only gets daylight. After just one day, I noticed plant 1 became much greener and the stem turned purple whereas plant 2 was slightly taller with slightly bigger leaves (however it germinated a day earlier) but both the stem and leaves were light green.

Now I want both plants to flower, without any dying, this isn't just a random experiment. I just wanted to know if 24 hour sunlight during vegging will interrupt the vegging process or speed it up. I know ever plant is different so i want to know what to look for and how to monitor it. Are the darker leaves and purple stem a good indication? The last two days, I've switched to 18/6 on/off and will keep it that way until i get closure.

The plant is a chocolate habenaro btw. And from what I've made of this, it seems the longer light period is maturing the plant faster. I just want to make sure that 24/0 wont kill it because that would make me a murderer.

Thanks in advance.

2. Vancouver Island

Vancouver Island Active Member

FredrickHanson,
    I have usually started plants with standard fluorescents. I am now using the T5's. They are fabulous! I bought them at a hydroponics store. The owner gave a free issue of Rosebud magazine. If you can get past what the magazine is really about, the science in the magazine is some of the best I have ever seen. The January 2010 issue describes "Phase Control" (p. 71). Growing the plant to a proper vegetative size in the "grow phase" or "vegetative phase" is very important. This is normally 16 hours of light/day with 8 hours of darkness. The darkness is as important as the hours of daylight for proper growth. Also trimming the plant to force branching is very important during this phase. For peppers I would think you would require about 8 to 10 weeks to get the plants to an 8 to 10" size. Don't rush it.

When mature plants are given shorter day lengths, then flowering is initiated. Lighting is shortened to about 13 hours/day.

I have learned more about growing vegetables from this magazine than from all the books on my bookshelf. I recommend you find a hydroponic store in your area and pick up this magazine. The science in this magazine is really very good if you can get past the other stuff. The growers it is directed to obviously have the finances to support the science that goes into their product. That said, understanding how lighting affects plants is essential for growing productive tomatoes or peppers.

Good reading and good luck with your peppers.

3. FredrickHanson

FredrickHanson Member

Thanks for the reply.

I have switched both plants to daylight. The plant under constant light eventuall started turning yellow and plant size was suffering significantly in comparison in both height and leaf size. I may have given it either too much light, or put the lights too close (3-4 inches away)

Unfortunately one plant fell victim to my vicious rottweiler but the sole survivor is on the windowsill champing it out. I will look into that magazine as well thanks for the recomendation. Also in the future i will most likely switch to the tubes that you use instead of CFL or at least get a better refelctor for the cfl.