Confederate jasmine

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by LPN, Sep 16, 2007.

1. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Anyone on the mid to south Vancouver Island aware of where I can obtain Trachelospermum jasminoides (Conferdate jasmine)?

Cheers, LPN.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Common here these days, both in gardens and nursery outlets. Funny it would be scarce up there.

Note that it is usual here to call it star jasmine, Confederate jasmine being Gelsemium sempervirens - if that has any bearing on your search results, like if you have been telephoning and asking for Confederate jasmine.

It's possible some there do call the Trachelospermum Confederate jasmine, of course. Common names of plants vary regionally.

3. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I'm not sure that it's scarce, only that the few nurseries I've checked tell me it's too late in the season, and have sold out of their stock. I thought perhaps someone here may have come across it in recent travels.
    As for common names, your right and most people I've spoken to simply call it jasmine. I do have a source but it would involve rooting a cutting. I wonder whether or not that's a good idea this late in the season. I can however provide bottom heat, humidity or any other requirements during the rooting phase.

Cheers, LPN.