Clematis Help

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by juliej, Jun 8, 2008.

1. juliej

juliej Member

Hi,
    I live in Sandpoint, Idaho and it's now the 8th of June. I have a clematis plant on a trellis on the north side of my house and this will be its third summer there. Last summer it was beautiful and had tons of large dark purple blooms. So far this year, the only growth I'm seeing are new shoots (about a foot tall) near the base of the plant. The previous year's wood is not doing anything yet. If I break off a piece of the wood, the tips are brittle and dry but a few more inches in, they are light green. the base wood seems very dry and somewhat shredded. I'm thinking its still alive, just dormant, but since we are into June already, I'm beginning to wonder. I don't remember what variety it is but it went crazy last year, and starting coming out of dormancy in May. We had a very long, hard winter this past year and the spring has mostly been cool and rainy (55-60 degrees and raining a lot). I've been patient so far, but am not sure what to do with it. My honeysuckle vine on the west side of the house is already huge and blooming. Any suggestions?

2. Diane W.

Diane W. Active Member

It is difficult to advise about a clematis without knowing what kind it is as there are three different pruning methods depending on the type. If it is sending up new shoots from the base, it is obviously a healthy plant. If it belongs to group 1 or 2, it flowers on old wood so you won't see any flowers this year on the new shoots. Group 3 flowers on new wood and should be cut right back in early Spring when it will flower the same year. (Don't cut back your new shoots, they are this year's growth). If you had flowers last year but not this, it might be for a number of reasons.
    1) wrong pruning method used. 2) not enough watering. 3) not enough fertilizer. Clematis are thirsty plants and need constant watering and should not be let to dry out.
    Keep the roots cool with mulch or by planting a low growing perennial or shrub at its base. Fertilize before and after flowering with a low nitrogen fertilizer. I use tomato fertilizer. Also, does it get enough sun? The old adage for Clematis is 'flowers in the sun, roots in the shade' although not all like their flowers in the sun.
    Having said all that, it is almost impossible to kill a Clematis. Be patient - keep it watered and fertilized and try to find out what kind it is so you can prune it correctly.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2008
  3. Diane W.

Diane W. Active Member

Here is a good site which is a fountain of information www.clematis.hull.ac.uk. It lists every clematis, with pictures. You should find your clematis on this site but be aware that there are many clematis that are very similar.