Clematis and sun requirements

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Freyja, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Freyja

Freyja Active Member

I have an area against a fence/trellis where I'd like to put a clematis. In the summertime, it gets full sunshine all day starting about halfway up the 5.5' fence, with dappled to full shade towards the bottom of the fence. I thought this would be an ideal spot (to keep the clematis "feet" cool).

However, I notice that at this time of year, the top of the fence doesn't get direct sunlight all day. There are a few hours during the afternoon where the sun is behind some neighbour's trees until about 5, due to the sun's lower angle.

Will this be ok for a clematis? It is basically the hottest part of these cool days where the sun is behind the trees. Or, alternatively, is there another climbing vine that would do well/better in the Surrey, BC (zone 8a) area for these light conditions?

Thanks.

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Hello I "was" new to Clematis and grow them since 3 years. I put them on Arches over garden walkpath that get the feet later in the sun then the top. I have noticed as liz says that they shot to the top of the arches and seem to want to go ONLY UP
    I also had to learn the hard way that some die down completly and some keep the branches and shoot new leaves on top right away.
    To counter than I "TRY" to push it downwards through the trellis BUT beware they brake very easely. The Clematis ROYAL seems to be the most fragil of all . I replaced it 2x and it died each winter.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2010
  4. Freyja

Freyja Active Member

Thanks for the replies! I'll try the spot and hopefully it will thrive.