Identification: Ceropegia woodii?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by ashphaltandshade, Jul 27, 2008.

1. ashphaltandshade

ashphaltandshade Active Member

Hi! A neighbour gave me some cuttings of a houseplant vine, but she doesn't know even what the common name is. I thought it might be a Ceropegia woodii, but I haven't seen one with this pattern of variegation. Thank you for your help.

Attached Files:

• vine.jpg
      vine.jpg
      File size:
      114.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Rhynno

Rhynno Active Member

Looks more like a type of philodendron to me but I could be out to lunch. Ceropegia woodii has smaller leaves spaced further apart and with very thin wines.

Cheers,

Ryan

3. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Ashphalt,
    It looks like 'Argyraeus' (Scindapsus pictus) Commonly called, satin pothos.

4. Rhynno

Rhynno Active Member

Thanks Bluewing :), I thought I was out to lunch on that one. I seem to see that plant all the time but always forget what it is T_T, oi.

5. ashphaltandshade

Yeah, that's totally what it looks like - a Scindapsus pictus. Which is good, because I don't have the conditions for a Ceropegia woodii (sun and low humidity), but I do for a Scindapsus pictus (shade and high humidity). I'm terrible at ID'ing. Thank you so much!

6. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

I agree with Bluewing for sure, good pick up mate ; ) Although with the small leaves, it may be the species, although I am trying to find out the difference. I bought one recently, not many in these parts, but mine has bigger leaves, appears to have more variegation and looks something like this...
    Mine gets mostly full shade, would that be the same conditions as yours?

Ed

Attached Files:

7. namawa

namawa Active Member

Ed...yours is Scindapsus pictus 'Exotica'.

8. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Hey Ed,

I haven't seen the one like yours with the larger leaves and TONS of variegation, very nice!

9. ashphaltandshade

Yep, yours looks like a Scindapsus pictus 'Exotica'.
    http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1134560326044472573AvUeWE
    Much bigger leaves than mine - the 'Argyraeus' or 'Silver'. Not much information about it on the internet. The information I have found about my cultivar is: It is only hardy to 13C/55F, so you can't leave it outside at night even in the summer (in Vancouver anyway). It can handle a little sun in the morning, but the rest of the day diffused or bright indirect light. I have mine in an E facing window. Mine apparently gets white flowers, but I couldn't find any information about when. Keep the soil consistently moist in the spring to fall, but in the winter water when the top half of the soil is dry. The pH requirements are 5.0 to 6.5 (strongly - mildly acidic). I add a 1/4 tsp. vinegar to each litre of filtered water for my acid-loving plants. I have mine potted in a mixture of 6 parts coconut fibre (peat substitute), 4 parts sterilized topsoil, 2 parts fine-grade barkmulch, 2 parts perlite, and 1 part sand, which is an averaging of 6 different recipes I found suggested for Scindapsus pictus on the internet. It likes high humidity. Use a fertilizer with a ratio of 3-1-2 (just like every other vine I've looked up). You could use Miracle-Gro Shake 'n' Feed 19-6-12 (slow-release) or All Purpose Plant Food 24-8-16 (water soluble) or 12-4-8 (liquid), but I use Grotek Total Nourish Powder 3-1-2, because it is organic and made in Langley. I get mine from Ladybug Organics Home Delivery, but it is carried by a lot of stores. You can have it in a hanging basket, or you can train it to climb up a pole, as long as the pole is fully covered in floral moss.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008