can you grow hisbicus in az?

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by alkvinia kaye, Mar 19, 2008.

1. alkvinia kaye

alkvinia kaye Member

Last year I tried 2 hisbicus plants purchased healthy at home depot. They eagerly bloomed and grew. I had them planted by the house for protection behind the roses and under a tree but they got bright light in the afternoon. They were suppose to tolarate the low temps of az. They died. I replanted them and put a third one in a huge pot waist high sheltered by a viynal shed and shaded by olive trees to get filtered sunlight during the hottest summer months. They all died. Are these to be treated as houseplants in az? In Iowa I had one for yrs but brought it outdoors after 45 degrees and indoors at 43 degrees. I was dreaming of a hisbicus tree I saw yrs ago. It was gorgeous.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Depends on the species. Hibiscus syriacus should be hardy outdoors for you, but some other species won't.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Tropical hibiscus (H. rosa-sinensis) is probably what you are talking about, this is a tender evergreen. It would be damaged if it got too cold. See Sunset WESTERN GARDEN BOOK for where in Arizona this is hardy outdoors. Another one that is sold as a potted flowering plant here in the west is H. moscheutos. This is a hardy perennial that dies back to the crown in fall, comes back from the roots in spring. If you happened to buy this kind instead you might have thought it had died completely when actually it was just dying down. It does not have the branching woody stems of the tropical hibiscus and its leaves are not leathery, but their shape is similar and it has similar large flowers (although never in yellow or orange).

4. alkvinia kaye

alkvinia kaye Member

I had it in the shade in a huge pot waist high thinking it wouldnt get the frost and it was in a well protected area. I transplanted it into part sun/part shade but so far it still looks dead.