Can I cut Orchid leaves off?

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by val from England, Jan 14, 2009.

1. I wonder if someone will be able to tell me if I can take off some of the leaves on my 3 phalenopsis orchids? They are huge and hang over the side of the pots, the pots then fall sideways and make an awful mess. two of my three plants are in bud and the other one is in flower. Also is it possible that feeding the plants has caused the leaves to overgrow?

2. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

They sound healthy, why cut them, they need all the nourishment ie: photosynthesis as possible in our northern climes... try supporting them in cast iron or heavy clay pots that allow for air exchange around their current potting medium. I have only cut dead or dying leaves from my phalaenopsis... without any ill effects to the bloom/growth.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  3. Thanks K,I will try a heavier pot. I thought that as the Orchids were all in semi see through pots, that maybe they should stay in them. I am still wondering if I did the wrong thing in feeding them though, I used the little phials of feed where you cut the top off and turn it upside down and leave it in the pot, now I seem to have far less flowers and huge leaves!!

4. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Hello!

Just wanted to show a shot of my 2 year old blooming orchid, that I just took today...

Attached Files:

5. Its lovely! glad to see you like butterflies too!

6. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Very pretty HBL:).....i also like the butterflies!

I keep on being severely tempted to buy an orchid, worried it'll just die on me!

7. The Hollyberry Lady

Thank you for the compliments : )

Yes, they are expensive, so I was worried too when I bought mine, that it might not make it. Now here it is 2 years later! Research as much as you can, and get to know how to care for an orchid, and you should be okay. I keep mine 4 feet away from my south window, so it gets bright light, but no direct hot sun. Good luck...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  8. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Yeah they have the most adorably mini ones at the Homebase near me but they're still £9.99! I also would like a Bonsai of some kind but they will both have to wait until I can do more research (and have more money!)

Well done for keeping yours alive though:)

9. The Hollyberry Lady

Hi JenRi:

Yes, I paid 20 bucks for mine, so I know what you mean. I think if you keep it out of the sun and in bright indirect light, you will be fine! Good idea to do some research, and prepare yourself though. Don't worry, I bet someday soon, you will be a very successful orchid owner! Keep in touch...

: )

10. I got mine as presents when we moved house 3 years ago, I think I managed to kill one last year because I took a chance and cut the leaves off! it had a few blooms on it last week but they dropped off before it flowered properly. I know better now. They are a good Idea for birthday presents, recieving I mean!

11. The Hollyberry Lady

I sure wish someone would give me one as a present! I would welcome it open arms!

12. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Me too......mine is in a month or so, so I better keep my fingers crossed!

13. My family, Husband, grown up kids always ask what I want for Birthday and Christmas, I think I will have orchids this year, I never know what to have usually!

14. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

As with any hobby, there are always the accessories...pots, sprayers, clippers, stakes, gift cards to your favorite nursery.--- I started out with one phalaenopsis about 20 years ago (still have it: currently in bloom w/another stalk developing) and now have around 25, various spp., including 2 jewel orchids (one in bloom) and paphiopedilums. ---These latter are my favorites: something about those spotty leaves and their warty hairy blooms just does it for me, esp. the really dark purple varieties. So, beware...! You start off with one orchid, then you're out one day at Lowe's and see another...then you get one for your birthday...then you adopt one from a co-worker...and pretty soon every available inch has an orchid sitting on or hanging over it, or both!

As with anything, the best way to learn is through experience. If your plant seems happy, keep doing whatever you're doing. If not, try something else! (Adjustments usually are in the well-known categories of light, temperature, moisture, and pest removal.) Knowledge, plus careful observation combined with timely action when necessary, is a basic recipe for success. Find out your orchid's native land---tropical rain forest or alpine hillside?---and then try to duplicate that environment. It's just great when they thrive and bloom for you: you know you're doing something right!

Good luck to you with your orchids, val---and to us all!

15. The Hollyberry Lady

Thank you for sharing togata57!

Oh I would just love to see a picture of that 25 year old orchid! A picture says a thousand words! Sounds like you are doing something right too! I hope I do get a collection of them over the years. I want a yellow and purple flowered one next! I saw one and loved it. The purple matches the purple of my existing plant! Well, thanks again for the great post - well said.

16. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Good advice Togata, I shall try and remember that if I ever get an orchid:)

17. The Hollyberry Lady

If and when you get one JenRi, remember this thread and stay in touch...

18. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

I will....no worries:)

19. Thanks Togata, You must be an expert, 25 years Wow! My house is south facing so I usually have the orchids on the window sill in the north facing dining room, the sill is above the radiator and thats where they seem happy.
    We were going to go to the cinema this afternoon, but I rather think we might end up at Perrywoods Nursery! I want a yellow speckled Orchid next then a white one, Oh hec, where will all this end?

20. The Hollyberry Lady

It usually ends in my wallet being emptied, whenever I go to the nursery! Good luck getting the varieties you seek.

Where are all the pictures? I find on this forum, a lot of people just like to describe their plants, but actually getting to see them is a whole different story! I guess some people are just not set up to take a quick shot.

I will take another picture, when I get a second orchid - which will be very soon...

21. Ha! Hi there Hollyberry Lady, I have tried to put a photo on here, I tried to resize it through image shack, but I am not very good at it! so if you know how to do it please let me know!

22. The Hollyberry Lady

Unfortunately, I do not have any advice to offer because I am brand new to the computer world (as of 5 months ago)!!! I just bring pictures from my picture file directly - but I never resize them. It's all quite easy - click "go advanced", then click "attachments" beside the capital A, and voila. If you're still having problems, click "contact us" at the bottom of home page, and they will be more than happy to help you out. Good luck...

23. P7190055.jpeg Orchid.jpg Lets hope this works! if it doesn't, I will try again! Thanks for the help!

24. The Hollyberry Lady

Oh my goodness, did it ever work!!!! That is absolutely, positively stunning! It tops mine three times over!!! Wow - I am impressed. Look how many blooms! Very, very, beautiful - I just love the shade of pink/purple!

Good job, posting the picture! Now when I click on your photo it automatically resizes to a bigger pic! Thanks so much for the wonderful shot.

25. It only worked because you told me how to do it! I was at the supermarket today, and they have some absolutely brilliant orchids for around £15, with about 3 or 4 stems full of blooms, unfortunately they are all the same pinky mauve and I already have 2 in that colour. I am not sure if this one in the photo is the one I rather stupidly cut the leaves off over a year ago, I am trying to encourage it to grow properly again. silly me tut tut!