brown and shrivelling virbunum leaves

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by melaniec, Jun 16, 2007.

1. melaniec

melaniec Member

We've got an eight-year old viburnum which has bloomed vigorously every year including this one (white flowers on horizontal branches). We moved it three years ago to a sunnier location but it seemed to be thriving. Bloomed beautifully this spring but now the leaves are brown at the tips and shrivelling. Too much rain? Not enough ... water?! Any suggestions?

2. Alexiamei

Alexiamei Member

I am not an expert but can tell you that I moved a viburnum too from a position where it was semi-shade and moist at the root to somewhere where the roots are probably drier and I've noticed that the leaves are not as lush and green as they were before. It may be a coincidence though. Although the original position was in my back garden which is south facing, the plant was tucked in a corner which was protected from too much heat. Where it is now, the garden faces north east and it gets the morning sun.
    I have read that viburnums prefer semi-shade, but different books tell you different things. Good luck.

3. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

Sounds like it dried too much. If it has been transplanted for three years it would not be because of the transplanting.