Bonsai Cruelty

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by BuzzinBoi, Jun 26, 2011.

1. BuzzinBoi

BuzzinBoi Member

Hello, I am attempting to grow a bonsai tree and I have heared that it is cruel to the tree because it is restricting the growth of the root obviously to create the small canopy. I will be honest I am new to botany so please tell me if I am talking hocus pocus.
    I welcome your views and opinions,
    Thankyou.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Given that cruelty is defined as "callous indifference to or pleasure in causing pain and suffering", and plants can feel neither pain nor suffering (at least in the sense that we understand these to be), then I don't think it can be considered cruelty.

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

The meticulous care, infinite patience, and vigilant attention to the plant's health requisite in successful bonsai culture seem to me the antithesis of cruelty. Plants may live for hundreds of years: they can do so only with assiduous and expert care.

What of pruning and trimming? These actions are equally restrictive of a plant's growth, but are necessary to its health. Any procedure may be done wisely, or foolishly. For example, trimming out weak and unhealthy branches in a tree will make it stronger: 'topping' it will eventually kill it.

Read and learn as much as you can---then proceed, slowly and thoughtfully. Bonsai is a fascinating and profound subject.

I suggest that you consider joining a bonsai society. Attend meetings; talk to the members. The best way to learn is from practitioners of the art.

http://www.thenationalbonsaisociety.co.uk/index.htm

4. BuzzinBoi

BuzzinBoi Member

Thanks very much I appreciate that ill look into doing that, I wont feel so guilty now when I give it a haircut.
    Cheers

5. Thean

Thean Active Member 10 Years

Good Morning BuzzinBoi,
    Enjoy your new found art. Before I started growing fruit trees in miniatures in containers, I have the same opinion - it's cruel. I was so pig-headed that I did not care I have no right to any opinion on something I know nothing about. Now that I'm in it, I found that far from cruelty, the plants are getting more attention and tender care than trees grown in the ground. On the other hand one can also say we are creating a situation that makes us slaves to the plants or putting the plants in a unnatural situation where a day's neglect can result in death.
    Peace
    Thean