Biological approach

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by Barry B, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Barry B

Barry B Member

I am a wholesale grower of plants. Some 2 months ago I have decided to change from synthetic fertilizers to organic fertilizers. I now also think of changing my whole approach to biological. This includes manufacturing my own compost tea through the introduction of EM ( effective microbes ) and Fulvic and Humic acids, to my nursery. I am a total novice in this regard. Is there anybody interested in this who can share some information.

I would like to manufacture my own compost tea.

I would like to know more about the actions of EM, the effectiveness of Fulvic and Humic acids. Also, what is the difference between the two, the effect on ph of both, etc.

I manufacture my own poting medium composting of Pine bark through a anaerobic proces. I would like to introduce EM to this but have no idea how. When and how and of course, the effect of temperature on same as my compost heaps sometimes turn at about 70 degree C.

Anybody with some information on this????

2. cowboy

cowboy Active Member

The US Compost Council forum has an archive at http://mailman.cloudnet.com/pipermail/compost/. This is not a searchable archive but can easily be perused.

A quick look found that July 2004 had some postings on compost tea that should give you a good start on that subject. There are also discussions about EM and people who sell it.

Why are you using an anerobic environment for wood?

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

4. Barry B

Barry B Member

Thanks for the information bout compost tea.

I use anaerobic on bark, purely due to cost. I manufacture about 6000 cubic metres compost per year. The raw material is easily available and I have time.

So, I just let the bark lie and turn 3 times a year for bout 18 months. Then I start working with the material and turn regularly, start balancing ph and add the required elements and trace elements for a good potting medium.

My next step is to add Effective Microbes to improve medium.

My manufacturing cost in this manner is ZAR25 per cubic metre. Should I buy in the same quality from a professional supplier it would cost me ZAR200 per cubic metre.