Biennials - flowering - foxglove / columbine?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Georgia Strait, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have lots of volunteer flowering plants that nature loves (insects, birds) - so I let them grow in my "shabby chic" coastal garden nr Vanc BC

amazingly, in the forest shade, these plants are fairly OK with the drought times (water restrictions so typical of this region, which is fine with me)

QUESTION - are foxglove (pink, nothing fancy) and columbine (dark blue, some are dusty pinkish hue) true biennials.

I ask because I want to tidy up an area and so once these plants have finished flowering, can I pull them up (they won't flower next year, correct?)

I often toss the seed heads in to the depths of the shrubbery so they will make more flowers in 2 yrs from now, correct?

I feel badly pulling up plants but I do need to tidy up this small area to maintain some harmony within the household !

thank you in advance.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Foxglove is supposed to be a true biennial. I've not heard that for columbine.

3. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I have a patch of horticultural Columbine that is definitely perennial. They have been growing as a small group in the same location for years, and I deadhead them faithfully every year.