Best larch (Larix) species for submediterranean climate?

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Carnby, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Carnby

Carnby Active Member 10 Years

Hi, I would like to know which species of larch (Larix) is more suitable to be planted as an ornamental tree in my zone. My area has a submediterranean climate (between Köppen Cfa and Csa); January temperature 5.9°C, July 24°C; some days (15-30) with night frost, very little snow (about 5 cm per year, but several years with just flurries); hot summers with > 35°C temperatures during the day and some years with drought stress (even if July precipitation average is 31 mm). I know that probably Pseudolarix amabilis is a more suitable tree for my area, nevertheless I would like to know whether a Larix species or hybrid exists or not. The autochthonous L. decidua does not grow well at sea level; even the University of Florence was not able to grow one in their botanical garden.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

None of them! L. decidua would be the nearest to the best option.

Personally, given those conditions, I'd be going for something more interesting like Keteleeria species ;-)

3. Carnby

Carnby Active Member 10 Years

I understand. The University of Pisa has been able to grow a specimen of Larix kaempferi in the city's botanical garden; given the climate of Pisa is warmer and drier than the one typical of my area (but also less hot during clear summer days) I thought that species would be more suitable for my zone. Anyway, I was interested in a deciduous conifer, Ketelreeria species are evergreen. Pseudolarix amabilis is the only viable option, isn't it? Or is the climate too hot and dry even for this species?

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Pseudolarix should be fine, give it a go. Also Metasequoia and Taxodium, if you have some permanently moist soil.