Beni shi en vs. Manyo no sato

Discussion in 'Maples' started by maplesandpaws, Jul 7, 2012.

1. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Which one, and why? I lost my little Manyo and loved the different leaf shape and color, but since Kansas is so HOT with intense sun in summer, Beni shi en was recommended to me by Diana (Topiary Gardens) as a similar cultivar...

So, which one? :)

2. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

Andrea,
    I love Diana and have bought a lot from her BUT if you loved Manyo so much buy another.
    I get lots of sun and temps 85-102 and my 2 Manyo's do great. Are you so sure your
    Manyo died from heat/sun. I would find that surprising but I will defer to you. I would think
    your Manyo died of something else - something rootstock/roots-based. Beni shi'en is nice
    but Manyo is quite unique with those brown/green-margined leaves.
    Good luck whatever you decide.
    Mike

3. maplesandpaws

I got the Manyo from Diana late last summer, but it was a teeny little thing - maybe 6-8" tall at most, and pretty spindly. I don't think the heat/sun is the cause of it dieing, but with the mild winter, really wet spring with some late freezes, and now the horrible heat, I think that may have been too much for it (I've lost a lot of little 1 year grafts I bought last year this spring/summer - only bigger trees for me from now on, the little ones are just too sensitive). The only reason I was considering the Beni shi en was because Diana mentioned it (she has a couple bigger ones, but only tiny Manyo currently), and seeing as it was discovered in the south, it might be a little more suited to our extreme summer climate. But yes, I love the look of Manyo, so unique with the coloring and leaf shape...

Can anyone with pictures of their Beni shi en post them? I'd like to get an idea of what it looks like compared to the Manyo... :)

4. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

i vote Manyo because have a very beautiful autumn color

5. eq72521

eq72521 Active Member

I have both. Certainly vote for the Manyo no sato.
    Diane's stuff is good - but I got mine from Sam at Eastfork.
    One of my favorites.
    Mine is now in full sun, but in Maine, it's been in the 85-95 range for a few weeks. Looks fine. Along with Hiryu - this is on my 'desert island' list of maples.

6. maplesandpaws

Made my decision - I just couldn't be without a Manyo. :)

Received it this morning courtesy of Sam at Eastfork; a stunning tree already, with a nice thick trunk and pretty well-developed nebari already. Half tempted to train it as a bonsai, these features are so nice...

Attached Files: