banana species

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Canadianplant, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

jsut picked up a small banana plant from safeway.... wondering what kind it is.. green leaves with dark green splotches. will post a pic asap buyt ne help u cam do beforehand would help. thanks

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  2. Canadianplant

here is the pic

Attached Files:

3. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Dwarf Cavendish perhaps.

4. Canadianplant

it deos appear to be that. here is teh website that has a pic of it. the only problem is that most of the info is for outdoor usage, and is also contradictory. Any info you can help would pre very appreciated.

thanks for the id

5. Carol Ja

Well, I can tell you that it isn't very hardy, if kept indoors it can be prone to spider mites. If you get it to produce bananas they'll be as large as the ones on a taller plant would produce. My seven year old has a couple, she mists them regularly. Is there any particular questions you wanted answering?

6. Canadianplant

lighting would be nice.... pot size, watering, basicly the whole shebang... good thing im not to worried about spider mits here... dry dry air. Ive heared that they are very very picky on there caring so i jsut dont feel like killing it within a week of me buying it lol. thanks fer the help so far.

7. Carol Ja

It likes sun to part shade, don't let it dry out between waterings, mist regularly to keep spider mites at bay. It can 6-10 ft tall.

8. Canadianplant

nice. It wont fruit or flower indoors will it? i was going to put a tray with water underneeth it to keep the humidity up ( dont worry the roots wont be sitting in it.)o thanks er the help

9. Canadianplant

does it liek to be root bound? or should i repot it soon? It in a wouth facing window but it its low so it gets in the sun fer about 3 or so hours a day.

10. Carol Ja

I'd repot it. If it likes the location you will eventually get a flower.

11. Canadianplant

i am assuming that it will not grwow fruit indoors unless it has male/female ppllant and someting to polinate it

12. palmera

palmera Active Member

Here's a picture of my Dwf Cavendish (Musa acuminata) which is in it's 4th year. It has 3 large stalks (one hiding) and several small pups. I keep it in the house from Oct-May. I keep it well watered. Thru the winter I also mist it frequently and give it a monthly sponge bath of water with a few drops of oil and dish soap to rid the spider mites. Dry air encourages the mites. It's in an East facing window.
    I just put it outside 2 days ago. Here on the island the nights are staying above 6 degrees now. It seems to really like afternoon shade and LOTS of water. I fertilize every 2 weeks with 20/20/20. I have it in the largest pot I own as I'd like it to grow big. No sign of fruit yet.

Attached Files:

13. Carol Ja

Wow, yours looks great. I went away, and mine got caught in the sun, it's looking a bit crispy, but it has put off some new leaves and its hiding behind the sun umbrella on the porch.

14. palmera

palmera Active Member

Carol,
    The same happened to mine last year. Most of the leaves fried but it didn't effect the new growth. Once it had a few new leaves, I cut the crispy ones off. This year it's only getting morning sun and so far so good.

15. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I planted Musa itinerans today knowning full well it's a borderline banana.

Cheers, LPN.

16. Canadianplant

nice plant, so a ncie big pot will do but what kidn of soil? I have 2 plants in miracle grow with that water controll and they are doing great. I am going to put my phoenix canariensis, philodendron selloum in it. my banana is in the south window but becasue its inside it sould be alright eh? I wish i could put it outside but being here will probably spell the end of it prety fast lol. Should i keep the soil wet or should i wait till it is half dry on the top of the soil. thanks for the help guys it already shot out a 4th leaf with the 5th jsut starting to grow.

17. palmera

palmera Active Member

My watering schedule is usually dictated by my memory...so it is a hit and miss thing! Ideally I water thoroughly (until the water runs out the bottom) and then let it dry a little before watering again. As long as the banana gets plenty of sun or light, it should be able to handle moist soil.

18. Canadianplant

good good i just repotted it today with a mix of normal miracle grow potting soild and moisture control. Its in the same spot . Do they reaact really bad to being repott3d or do they even care?.

19. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

My personal experiences show no set-back from re-potting ... if anything, renewed vigor.

Cheers, LPN.

20. Canadianplant

haha i have a feeling im going to try to get more bananas in the future if this one is as good as it seems. I can almost watch this thing grow, it actually amazed me. thanks for the help, and i will post a pic in a week or so to show ya how its goin. Thanks

21. Canadianplant

heres a new pic of it, its looking really nice so far.

Attached Files: