banana plant_moving from calgary to langley

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by thestig, Oct 15, 2009.

1. thestig

thestig Member

I am moving to langley from Calgary. i have a banana plant I love. It has to go in the moving truck. What is the best way to keep it warm for the trip. Please help. Thanks

2. islandweaver

islandweaver Active Member

I wouldn't worry about keeping it warm, just frost-free, assuming, of course, that you are planning to make it an outside plant once you get to Langley. Out here, we usually let the top growth die down during the winter and regrow from the centre in the spring. If that is your plan, then you just need to protect the lower part and the part underground. If I were in your shoes, I would cut down most of the top growth and then wrap the remainder of the plant and pot with a burlap or polyester fibrefill. I would avoid wrapping it with plastic as it is likely to cause rot.

Nothing will likely protect your banana if the moving truck ends up spending days/weeks in sub-freezing conditions, but it should hold for a direct move to BC. The temperatures should be above freezing once the truck gets to the Okanagan and past. Good luck with your move. I hope it isn't going to take place in mid-winter. Diane

3. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Yeah, the corms are tough, hardy little guys, so it should be ok. I've even received many pups via mail service!!!

If you want some serious banana advice, seek out "lorax".

: )

4. thestig

thestig Member

Thanks. I rescued it five years ago. Its doing realy well. I will check out lorax.

Cheers