Australian Tree Fern - Stunted Growth

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Jim Simpson, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Jim Simpson

Jim Simpson Member

Hi - I have an Australian Tree Fern that I have been growing inside a sun room for the the past 6 years. It is now about 2' high with branches extending out about 3'. It has been growing prolifically until about 3 months ago, when its growth suddenly slowed to a crawl. New branches are only extending about 6" and the leaves on them are coming out prematurely i.e. before the branch has extended. I re-potted it into a slightly larger pot 1.5 months ago, but nothing has changed. I attach 2 pictures. Any suggestions as to what is wrong?

Many thanks

js

Attached Files:

2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

What species is it? Do you know

3. Jim Simpson

Jim Simpson Member

I believe it is a Cyathea cooperi. js

4. Laurance

Laurance New Member

Did you ever get any insight as to the issue that you faced? I have the same issue with the same species. The difference is that mine lives outside, is over 6 feet tall and is about 15 years old. For the last two years the fronds are rarely 18"' slow to emerge and seem immature. I see I am not alone and am hoping for some insight.

5. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Same thing is happening to me, I am in sub tropical, and for mine at least, it is a water issue or lack there of. If I missed one or two days in the peak of summer thats what would happen