At UBC, last Wednesday

Discussion in 'Plants and Biodiversity Stumpers' started by Daniel Mosquin, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

No hints other than that - and no better photograph either - this is in my rejects pile, so I'm tossing the originals.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Quercus myrsinaefolia.

3. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

It does sort of resemble Chinese Evergreen Oak but I don't believe that Q. myrsinifolia's leaves are serrated past the mid point of the leaf, toward the base. Mine are serrated much closer to the apex. Also the apparent twist of the leaves don't show on any of my oaks.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes: I also noticed the number of teeth, but threw Quercus myrsinaefolia out there because of the similarity of the new growth. If it turned out to be another oak, such as Q. glauca, or a related genus it wouldn't startle me.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yep, Quercus myrsinifolia (or at least that's what it is labelled as). The point about the teeth on the leaves requires some investigation on our part now...

6. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

Leaf anomaly...