Ask Douglas Justice: Why witches broom on P. avium 'Plena'?

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by wcutler, May 2, 2012.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

There isn't really a feature here called "Ask Douglas Justice", as Douglas reads all the postings anyway, but Joseph Lin sent Douglas one email with several unrelated questions, and the replies were interesting enough that I'm copying them here, and I wanted a title that indicated that these were educational tidbits and they're not my own. [I'll have to get Joseph to post the photos - I seem to have deleted the original email].

Q: Why are there some 'witch's broom(?) with many branches and leaves' on Avium Plena as attached photos?

Reply from Douglas: The cherry witches broom disease is caused by Taphrina wiesneri, a fungal pathogen that causes a disease similar to the peach leaf curl (also a Taphrina species). It is not very common, but some cultivars, e.g., 'Somei-yoshino' seem to have it more than others. I suspect infection is also related to the age of the cherry. I have also seen it on 'Ukon' here on campus.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  2. Joseph Lin

Joseph Lin Active Member 10 Years

I found severasl Avium Plena cherry trees with some 'witch's broom' with many braches and leaves' on Heather Street btw West 41~37 Ave., Vancouver on April 29.

AlainK likes this.
  3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Many other sweet cherry trees down here have this also.

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Here is witches' broom on an old 'Umineko' just inside the fence at the rhododendron path next to the Stanley Park Pitch and Putt, just a bit north of the service entrance.
    Unineko_RhodyPath_Cutler_20210401_152422.jpg