Arundo donax, Miscanthus Floridus

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by Carol Ja, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Has anyone tried growing Arundo Donax, or Miscanthus floridus. How easy is it to propagate either of these? Should I do it by the seeds, or is it better to just divide the clump?
    Carol JA

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Nurseries have started plants of both. Division in spring should be possible, whereas seeds may not be available from local plants. I've never seen an Arundo flower here, although the Miscanthus does--if it is the same one, there are supposed to be at least two similar species in Western cultivation and I don't know what the total of what we have here is.

The arundo also makes sidebranches that are said to be suitable for rooting as cuttings.

3. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

thanks Ron

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have Arundo donax 'versicolor', a variegated Arundo that is quite striking.
    Cheers, LPN

5. wishiwere

wishiwere Member

I have propogated arundo donax by taking a cutting and letting it dry for a bit then submerge it in water. or cut it up into small segments (make sure there is a joint on each segment ) It will form new plants at each joint line. Allow the roots to grow from the new sprout that will develop then plant in soil along with the segment ....It feeds the new sprout.

Heather

6. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

I have several large clumps of miscanthus floridus divided from a single one gallon planting I put in two seasons ago: each flowers reliably, though late. Very simple to propagate by division in spring, even remnant edge bits left behind have rooted and grown.

7. Ron B

I'd think there would be no point in drying a cutting that was to be then rooted in water. With cut flowers one might actually wound the base of the stems under water to increase water uptake. Allowing cuttings to dry is done with succulents that are thought to be liable to rot if inserted into rooting medium before the wound where the cutting was severed is allowed to dry and form a protective layer.

8. wishiwere

wishiwere Member

Drying the cuttings sounds a little odd perhaps , I realize, but without drying a little first , the cuttings ,for me , have turned to mush in the water. I have also used dried pieces of arundo donax and grown new plants from the joints

I do however have well water with no chlorine it which may cause the green cutting to turn to mush. If you feel this step is unnecessary ...dont do it .

I am only speaking from my experience and what worked for me. I thought my experiences might have helped this person to grow new plants( I was under the impression that was why they posted) and which is the only reason I replied . If the person chooses to try my method or not is up to them. I am not a plant expert !

Heather

9. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Heather,
    You've got me curious! I'm going to give your method a try. I've always grown these from divisions and never even thought of a dry cutting. How did you come across this unique method?
    Cheers, LPN.

10. mfarwell

mfarwell Member

Here's a couple of images from a stand of flowering arundo located in the "wild" just outside Vernon, BC. The highways people are trying to get rid of this escapee, but have had little success to date.

Attached Files:

11. Ron B

Probably common reed (Phragmites).

12. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Agree as well - resembles Phragmites. Arundo donax would be a new record for British Columbia (and this includes escapees) - plus it's not known to occur in the wild (as an escaped plant) in either Washington or Oregon: distribution map

13. mfarwell

mfarwell Member

I've got some growing in my back yard and had previously concluded that it was Arundo. I would really like to confirm the species. Anyone got a good website or other reference where I can determine the differences between Arundo and Phragmites?

14. PenderPalms

PenderPalms Member

drying the cuttings first sounds like good news to me I just threw out my annual attempt at Arundo side branch cuttings. I have never had them root. My water is chlorinated but they mush out every time

Heather
    Thanks for the tip I'll go chop some more today
    How long do you allow them to dry before submerging?
    do you mist the foliage or cover with a bag for the rooting process?
    Thanks, Brian

15. Chooch

Chooch Active Member 10 Years

SW Ontario 65 miles west of London / 33 miles sout
  16. mfarwell

mfarwell Member