Are Morning Glories invasive on Vancouver Island?

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by MaryJo, Mar 19, 2009.

1. MaryJo

MaryJo Member

I'm a fairly new BC gardener. I have always planted Heavenly Blue Morning Glories when I lived in Ontario. I have a friend born and bred here, but she's concerned that Morning Glories are invasive out here on the West Coast. Can someone verify that they are or are not I purchased Morning Glory Ipomoea tricolor 'Flying Saucers' seeds ...thanks

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

No - I'd suspect your friend is getting mixed up with bindweed (Calystegia), which although related to morning glories (Ipomoea) is in a different genus. Bindweed is perennial, and happy being rampant in cool temperate areas, whereas morning glories are subtropical and won't persist (or even grow very happily at all!) in cool temperate areas.

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

true morning glories are not invasive...there is a plant that's *called* morning glory that really isn't; that's the one that's invasive.

the particular variety that you have seeds for is considered invasive. i'd plant it in a container and don't let seeds develop (just cut the blooms off as soon as they're starting to shrivel up).