Apricot tree - Red leaves and Holes in Leaves

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Ktel, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Ktel

Ktel Member

I bought a Harcot Apricot tree and have put it in a container. It seemed to be doing really good, until recently I noticed it budding red leaves. Which I have searched online and have not really found a mention of it this occuring. It's been really rainy in Calgary so I am not sure if that has an effect on the leaves. My next problem is the leaves have all these holes in them. I have searched the tree but not found any bugs, so I am clueless to what is causing them. I have started to spray the tree with a neem oil mixture in order to stop whatever is eating it.

I've attached two pictures. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank-you!
    Kristel

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  2. Thean

Thean Active Member 10 Years

Good Morning Ktel,
    I don't know what's the cause of those holes in the leaves. You should write to Alberta Agriculture for solutions. Your plant is putting out new shoots (red leaves). It's unusual for apricot in Alberta at this time of the year. It is a cause of concern as the plant may not shut down and acclimate in time for winter. I suggest you provide additional winter protection after the leaves have fallen off in fall.
    Peace
    Thean

3. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

4. Ktel

Ktel Member

Thean - it's in a container so I will be bringing it inside for the winter. Optimally I hope to get it in a heated garage so it can go through its dormant period for next winter. Then hopefully into a greenhouse/sunroom type room. This winter I hope to just keep it alive inside throughout the winter and cut back on watering. It definitely would not survive a Calgary winter cold spell!

Saltcedar - Thanks, it might be blight! I have been researching it and the rainy cool summer might have broughten it out. It started happening after a super rainy weekend. I will hopefully have to think of something to stop it from taking over the whole tree without pruning off too many branches. It's still a young tree so it doesn't have alot to it.

Thanks,
    Kristel