Anyone eating lettuce yet?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Fine ocean parker, May 20, 2014.

1. Fine ocean parker

Fine ocean parker Active Member

I'm curious if anyone has been eating any of there home grown lettuce yet? I don't have a greenhouse but did start some seeds under some lights early and still my lettuce is not quite there yet. Just trying to figure out if there is any advantage to starting seeds under lights or does it work out to about the same time for harvest. Thanks

2. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

My plants are ready for harvesting (just a mix of assorted varieties); started inside in late Feb and now being grown in a greenhouse where daytime temps reach close to 30C on our warmer days.

3. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

We've been harvesting lettuce for a couple of weeks now. They were planted directly in the soil outside under a cloche in March as part of a mesclun mix and could have been planted a month earlier. I planted Arugula at the same time and found that it grows even faster than the lettuce. A couple of varieties are already forming flower heads and need to be trimmed back. If you like Arugula, you could try planting the variety selvatica in the fall. My fall planting survived the winter without any protection and is now flowering but still usable.