amarilis seeds

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by marvajg59, Sep 16, 2009.

1. marvajg59

marvajg59 Member

does any one know how to start amarilis seeds,

2. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

i did i once and ended up wit about 10 plants none of them have bloomed yet its only been a few years so probably have a few mro eyears to go they can take 5 years to bloom from seed. all i did was i took a clear tuperware type dish put a layer of potting soil in the container than placed the seeds on top of the soil misted with just regular water than placed the lid on it. cannot remember how long they took to sprout but donot throw the container away if it gets moldy i did this actually with two containers i threw the soil out on the first one but the second one i got a lil lazy and left it alone it took longer to get the mold it was a sorta yellow mold when i got around to getting rid of it i had sprouts so did not throw those out now out of the 10 or so that sprouted i still have 6 seedlings left i just checked on them and a few of them look like the bulbs should be big enough to bloom so i took one out of the pot cut the foliage off and trimed the roots i am going to place it in the fridge for a few months than replant maybe it will force it to bloom. two of them are almost the same size as the one i am going to put in the fridge and some of the others are smaller about as big around as a golfball and already have a pup started off the side not sure why the smaller ones have pups already. i had probably 50 seeds and some where from a regular red i have and some where from my moms she has a nice orange and white striped one and a double red but i had mixed all the seeds and did not mark them so have no clue what the parentage is on the ones that sprouted good luck with the seeds

3. marvajg59

marvajg59 Member

thank you i will try it i ordered some fancy ones and wanted to try and see if i could, i also have a lot of bulbs i have been collecting through the years and some one told me you can start them in water so i will try both ways and see what i come up with. i love any kind of plants that have blooms and i have been collecting flowering trees also
    i have been collecting day lillies also and i want to try some of them too

4. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Amarillis (Amaryllis) is a tender perennial, grown as a house plant. It is possible to propagate them from seeds, but they germinate slowly and unevenly, and take MANY years to bloom. However, the offsets may be removed from a mature plant and planted, and these should bloom in about two years. - Millet (1,213-)