Albizia julibrissin leaves turning yellow and falling off

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Sylwia Kosecka, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Sylwia Kosecka

Sylwia Kosecka New Member

Hello I'm most definitely not a plant expert but I decided to grow some bonsais. I've made sure to not over water the soil or put the plant in extremely hot and cold conditions. It's still a small seedling and I noticed the first leaves are turning yellow and falling off. Idk if it's lack of nutrients but the newer leaves have a redish piment on the circumference of the leaves and honestly I don't really want my first plant to die please help me save them

Attached Files:

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

When you say "first leaves", do you mean the round ones at the very bottom that have a different shape from the others? Those are the cotyledon leaves, and they are supposed to drop off. In your second photo, there are only three real leaves - they are bipinnate compound leaves with leaflets. The top two leaves have split into two leaflets which are split again into several (I think there is another term) leaflets. Not that you asked about that - I was just checking what you are concerned about here - they look good to me.
    I don't know anything about bonsai, though.

Sylwia Kosecka likes this.
  3. Sylwia Kosecka

Sylwia Kosecka New Member

Thank you so much aha I'm glad I didn't kill it off. I have to be honest I'm just a clueless student I genuinely don't know much about plants. I did however invest into these bonsais. I panicked when I saw discolouration and the "cotydelon" leaves fall.

In my second photo I tried showing off a redish pigment in the leaf though it was incredibly hard to capture on camera. I should've really taken a before and after photo.

But I'm over the moon I didn't kill my first set of plants. But thank you for reassuring me as well as giving me intresting plant terminology